Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Regina has done a 180 yet again!











So, bitter about bureaucracy Regina is gone, and France Regina is back in full swing! I haven't felt this good in a long time. There's something about the air here and the sense of time that makes me feel more human rather than a machine working at my job all day. Things move slower, not to mention the technology is several years behind here, and texting/cellphoning all day no longer consumes my life.










This week I visited Castelmoron D'Albret, the smallest village in France. Yeah, it's small. All you need and nothing more: a church, a cemetary, a restaurant, a post office and some houses. But it did have some good views of the surrounding forest, and I found several wild figs trees that I snatched some snacks from for later.










I also saw St. Emilion, another city close to La Reole, which is famous for their wine. So, I looked at a lot of people drinking it, and I visited the catacombs and the hermitage of the patron saint of the city, as well as the biggest monolith church in the world. It's carved all from one stone (thus, the term monolith), and it's actually underneath the city in a cave. From the view at the top of the king's tower, a big, forteress-esque structure from the middle ages, you can see the vineyards and the stone and mortar houses climbing the hillside. I also experienced a beverage called "brut," which is the sparkling grape juice of France. It's the juice that's taken from the wine press right before they start to ferment it. It's fizzy, but it's slightly more bitter that sparkling grape juice since it's fresh and was stopped from fermenting right before the process set in. So, it tastes more like wine, but it doesn't have alcohol.










On Monday night I went to a social dance class, and can I just say that French people trying to do Rockabilly and Swing is a sight to be seen. There must be something in American blood that makes us better at dancing these styles, because French people are way too gallant and chivalrous to jerk themselves around as these dances require. Overall, though, it was really fun, and I met a lot of nice old people. I'm really popular with the old folks, as always. (Shut up, David! I already know what you're thinking...)










Today, I caught a train to Bordeaux, and was surprised at how well and quickly I've taken to public transporation. Bordeaux had a little more color to offer since it's the capital city of the region. I didn't have time to see much, since my friend needed to get back so as not to miss his bus home, but we did manage to see the cathedral of St. Andre, which has an impressive history: home to several royal marriages and ceremonial point of hostile takeovers, you can feel the weight of history bearing down upon you as you stroll past the chapels. The most striking points at the cathedral were the arcs voutes in the ceilings, the light coming through the stained glass windows, and a touching statue of the Virgin Mary holding the baby Jesus, which someone had decorated with a dried bouquet of flowers.










It's interesting to note the effort and artistry that went into each and every church I've encountered so far in Europe. The contrast between a chapel that has been filigreed with symbolic meaning, and the all-purpose buildings (not to mention the megaplexes that a lot of evangelical churches build) that we have back in the States, is enough to blow you away. It's too bad most European churches now serve as museums instead of places of worship. The "croyants" pray in silence as the gawking tourists walk past with their cameras.










After a lunch at a cafe, we strolled on down to the Musee d'Aquitaine, which is a regional museum for the area that I'm in. There were mostly a lot of exhibits on prehistoric man since Aquitaine is known for the Lascaux caves and their prehistoric paintings. There was also an interesting exhibit on slavery and the region's involvement in the commerce triangulaire/slave trade.










Because my feet didn't hurt bad enough already (although I still maintain no foot pain is worse than rehearsing for five to six hours in pointe shoes), we walked up the Rue Ste. Catherine, which is the longest street of shops in Europe. I found a FNAC (the Barnes and Noble of France), and bought a personal journal to document my experiences and travels. For anyone who knows me, you will be shocked to know that I didn't stop in any boutiques. I already shopped in one in La Reole, and I have to wait until I get paid to visit any other clothing stores.










We finished at the Esplanade where there was a massive sculptured fountain and a big obelisk/phallic-looking structure with a Virgin Mary on top (the irony was not lost on me), which offered some shade. I rested my feet and uncomfortably watched a young couple make out, then we headed back to the train station.










This weekend, I don't know what I'm going to do. I might pay a visit to the coast or go back to Bordeaux for another visit. I'm going to try to find a church branch in the next closest city, which is Agen, and repent of my heathen ways. In October, look for updates on my visit to Andalousia, and a mystery visit to somewhere new...I have a break at the end of October, so if anyone has any suggestions as to where to go, let me know!!










Everyone here as been really nice, and I've been invited to I don't know how many places. So many possibilities! I've even been offered a loan of a car if I need to get anywhere. It's very different being in a small town. I recommend if anyone ever plans on vacationing in France, pick a smallish town. In the big ones, the locals are a lot more rude.










On a final note, some of my screw-ups for the week:










I didn't realize at the grocery store, that here you have to weigh your own fruits and vegetables and put the price on them. When I got to the checkout, I soon found that out, and everyone behind me starting huffing and puffing. Note to all travelers: If you can learn two phrases in the language of the country you're traveling to, let it be these: Excuse me for bothering you, but I have a problem/question..., I'm sorry, I'm a foreigner, I didn't know. --These will get you out of any trouble/awkward situations you've gotten yourself into.










Almost got on the wrong tram (thanks, David, for pulling me back off). Seems to be a trend with me (it happened a few times when I was in Strasbourg). Note to self, always triple check the direction of the vehicule before you get on it. That would've been a nice long detour...








And finally, I went to dinner again with Sandrine and Pascal, and Pascal in his usual joking manner asked me if I loved sausages (he winked at everyone else, and I didn't catch on that he meant a different kind of "sausage"), and I exclaimed "Oh yeah, I LOVE sausage!" The whole table was laughing at me.





3 comments:

  1. Oh,que j'aime si tes histoires. Je peux suggérer Poitiers et Futuroscope pour une visite. Aussi les St. Jean de Luz ou San Sebastien en Espagne.

    tt

    ReplyDelete
  2. so many memories are flushing into my mind, and im momentarily transported back into the beautiful simplicity of la france. i remember the feeling of the world slowing around me, the crisp morning air, and the welcome afternoon sun. i remember the kind, happy people of strasbourg and the prickly people of paris simultaneously and smile about both. im envious of your journey, but im so proud of you, and im so glad that youve found somewhere to call home for awhile.

    keep putting up posts! i miss you lots and lots!

    em

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally made the fruit-weighing mistake in Paris. Sounds like you're having some good times! I wish I could have some of that "non-alcoholic" wine. (wink wink) j/k :)

    ReplyDelete